Dr. N.C. Mondal received B.Sc. Physics (Hons.) degree from The University of Burdwan, West Bengal, and M.Sc. Tech. Geophysics from Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi. He obtained his Ph.D. in Geophysics from Osmania University, Hyderabad and also pursued an Advance Groundwater Modeling Study at Texas A&M University, Texas, USA under the BOYSCAST Programme (funded by DST, GoI).
Presently Dr. Mondal is working as a Principal Scientist of Electrical & Heliborne Geophysics Group, CSIR-National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad, India & holding Associate Professor of Physical Sciences, Academy of Scientific & Innovative Research (AcSIR).
His principal research topics encompass groundwater exploration, hydrochemistry, aquifer modeling, and entropy theory in water resources. He has developed (1) an efficient & versatile technique for estimation of groundwater potential zones, (2) an Index called Saline Water Mixing Index (SWMI) for evaluating the relative degrees of saline water mixing, (3) a novel technique developed for estimating the natural backgrounds of groundwater pollution, (4) a new innovative entropy-based model for assessing natural groundwater reserve, and (5) also an interaction-based model for assessing the degrees of hydrogeological vulnerability.
Dr. Mondal has actively contributed to the Pilot Project on Aquifer Mapping (AQUIM) using combined ground and heliborne geophysical surveys and proved that a combination of electrical and electromagnetic investigations delineates the aquifer in sedimentary basin with certainty.
He has credited more than 120-Research Articles in International & Indian Journals (Google Scholar Citations: 3554, h-index: 31 & i10-Index: 66; https://scholar.google.co.in/citations?hl=en&user=Sn5vqikAAAAJ); 20-Chapters in Books and 50-Technical Reports. He has already guided one Ph.D. Student of AcSIR, 03 Ph.D. students guiding, 08-M.E./M.Tech. Theses, and 10 Summer/Winter Trainees.
He is member(s) of the European Water Resources Association (EWRA), International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH), International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS), International Society for Development & Sustainability (ISDA-Japan, Association of Hydrologists of India (AHI), Indian Association of Hydrologists (IAH), Indian Society for Hydraulics (ISH) & Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS).
He is presently Associate Editor-AGGS Journal of Ground Water Research, and Member of the National Editorial Advisory Board- Bulletin of Pure and Applied Sciences: Geology.
He is the recipient (s) of the BOYSCAST Fellow-2009 (DST, GoI), The National Geoscience Award-2017 (Ministry of Mines, GoI), Bharat Jyoti Award-2019 (IIFS, New Delhi), Outstanding Scientist Award-2020 & Best Researcher Award-2021 (VDGOOD, Chennai). He is elected as Joint Secretary of AGGS & Executive Member of AHI, He has been honored as “Fellow (s)" of Telangana Academy of Sciences (FTASc.), Geological Society (India), and Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS).
He also visited USA, Singapore & Mauritius to present his research findings.
1) Hydro-mechanical modelling in seismically active Koyna- Warna region, Maharashtra, India [HOME-KW].
2) Groundwater Assessment of regional hydrological systems using Space Borne Gravity Observations.
3) Delineating the boundary of shallow saline zones encountered in Poyya, Karalam, Adat, and Tholur Panchayats in Thrissur District, Kerala, and investigating their origin and possibility of any underlying freshwater aquifers through geophysical surveys.
1) Fellow-Geological Society of India (GSI)-2022.
2) Fellow-Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS)-2022.
3) Fellow-Telangana Academy of Sciences (FTAS)-2020.
4) Associate Fellow-Telangana Academy of Sciences-2017.
5) Recipient-The National Geoscience Award-2017 (Ministry of Mines, GoI) in the recognition of significant contribution in the field of Groundwater Exploration.
6) Recipient-BOYSCAST FELLOWSHIP-2008-09 by DST (GoI), New Delhi for pursuing advanced study in water sources at Texas A&M University, USA.
7) Certificate of Commendation-2009 from the Director of CSIR-NGRI on publishing Five Articles in SCI Journals of the year as a Research Scholar.
8) Certificate of Commendation-2008 from the Director of CSIR-NGRI on publishing Five Articles in SCI Journals of the year as a Research Scholar.
9) Certificate of Commendation-2005 from the Director of CSIR-NGRI on publishing Seven Articles in SCI Journals of the year as a Research Scholar.
Book Chapters: 
Completed: 1) Mr. Venkatarao Ajaykumar, PhD Thesis: Awarded: Nov 02,2022. Ongoing Ph.D.:
1) Mr. Sateesh Chandrapuri, 2) Md. Abdurrahman, & 3) Mr. Akshay Kharve.
M.Sc. Tech. (Geophysics) & Ph.D. in Geophysics
More than 23 years on groundwater exploration & its management.
1) Joint Secretary-Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS) from year 2019 onwards.
2) Executive Member-Association of Hydrologists of India (AHI), Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam from January 2019 onwards.
3) Member-Academy Committee of AcSIR (CSIR-NGRI) from January 20, 2022 onwards.
4) Associate Professor-Academy of Science & Innovation Research (AcSIR) in the Faculty of Physical Sciences from July, 2021 onwards.
5) Assistant Professor-Academy of Science & Innovation Research (AcSIR) in the Faculty of Physical Sciences from July2017 to July 2021.
6) Guest Faculty-Engineering Staff College of India (ESCI), Gachi Bowli, Hyderabad from June, 2016 onwards.
7) Research Supervisor-Department of Geology, Osmania University, Hyderabad from April 2018 onwards.
8) Research Supervisor-Department of Geophysics, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam from October, 2016 onwards.
9) Research Supervisor-Department of Geophysics, Osmania University, Hyderabad from September, 2014 onwards.
10) Interim-Treasurer-Indian National Committee-International Association of Hydrogeologists (INC-IAH) from July, 2012-May, 2013.
11) Member-National Editorial Advisory Board-Bulletin of Pure and Applied Sciences-Geology, UGC Approval Journal, BPAS Publications, New Delhi from April, 2018 onwards.
12) Editorial Board Member-Journal of Advances in Geoscience, Universe Scientific Publishing Pte. Ltd., Singapore from year 2018 onwards.
13) Member-International Journal of Development and Sustainability (IJDS) of ISDS Society in Japan from 2017 onwards.
14) Member- Editorial Board-Journal of Earth Sciences from June, 2017 onwards.
15) Review Editor-Groundwater Resources & Management, Frontiers in Environmental Science from October 2016
16) Associate Editor-AGGS Journal of Ground Water Research from June, 2013 onwards.
17) Life Member-Indian Society of Applied Geochemists (ISAG), Hyderabad from year 2023 onwards.
18) Member-International Association of Hydrogeologists (INC-IAH) in Year 2023.
19) Life Member-Geological Society of India (GSI) from 2022 onwards.
20) Associate Member-International Society for Development & Sustainability (ISDS)-Japan from 2021 onwards.
21) Member-International Association for Water, Environment, Energy & Society (IAWEES), Bhopal in year 2020.
22) Life Member-The Indian Society for Hydraulics (ISH), Pune, Maharashtra from 2020 onwards.
23) Life Member-Association of Exploration Geophysicists (AEG), Hyderabad, India from October, 2017
24) Member-European Water Resources Association (EWRA) from March, 2015 onwards.
25) Life Member-Association of Global Groundwater Scientists (AGGS), Coimbatore from August 2014 onwards.
26) Member-International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS).
27) Member-Asia Oceania Geo-Sciences (AOGS)-Year- 2004 & 2005.
28) Life Member-Association of Hydrologists of India (AHI), Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, India year 2004 onwards.
29) Life Member-Indian Association of Hydrologists (IAH), National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee from 2003 onwards.
30) External Examiner-Thesis Evaluation, of Geology, Yuvaraja’s College, University of Mysore, India.
31) Member of Board of Examiners-Faculty of Science (Geology Department), Periyar University, Salem, Tamil Nadu.
32) External Referee-Faculty of Science (Geology Department), North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, Maharashtra, India.